So I have been looking for a new breadstick recipe. The way my large family eats, I have to make a lot! So between all the recipes I have read, I came up with this. It’s not specific to one but a mold of several and then what I changed as I made it. The beauty of this recipe is it is a good base for pizza dough or pizza pockets. Just about anything you want to do with this dough, it can be done. Slightly time consuming but well worth it in the end!! Try it once and you will see what I mean!
Mom’s Pizza Dough, Breadsticks, or Any Bread Pocket
1 ½ Cups Warm Water
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
3-4 cups flour
2 Tbsp.’s Olive Oil (optional, best for pizza dough)
- Mix water, sugar, yeast and let sit for 15 minutes until bubbles form.
- Add salt and seasonings, mix well.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time until ball forms.
- Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Roll out to pan for pizza, or breadsticks or individual pockets. Let stand for additional 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees (F) until golden brown.
- For Pizza, add toppings and bake until cheese is golden.
- For breadsticks, roll out flat, cut with pizza cutter, twist and bake until golden. Take out of oven and top with your choice seasonings. Garlic or Dessert!